School Common Name
Jeffersontown High or J-town High School (original)
College Drive and Galene Drive
1st Graduating Class
The original Jeffersontown High School opened on the current site of Tully Elementary. Its mascot name was the Gentlemen. The high school was an extension of the original Jeffersontown Elementary School in J-town at Dell Road and College Drive, which opened in 1912. The school was seriously damaged by a fire in 1940. The school subsequently conducted some classes in church Sunday School classrooms in the area. The school was closed in 1950 in favor of the newly opened Eastern High School in Middletown. J-town citizens, however, wanted a school of their own and fought for the restoration of Jeffersontown High School. The new school under that name opened in 1966.
This resource is provided by the Jefferson County Public Schools Archives and Records Center, Louisville, Kentucky. See JCPS History Wiki and Blog Information for contact information.